Thursday, August 6, 2009

Saddling Up...

...And bringing the proverbial kitchen sink

Although the smart play would be to test out the new Medium Tower POS before loading up the really fun gear, I am feeling flush with all of the ISK in my account and I have a few ships that I have been wanting to test out in W-Space. First off, here is my standard Class 2 package:
  • Dominix (Repper and Drone DPS)
  • Drake (Primary DPS)
  • Cormorant (Salvage)
  • Helios (Primary probing)
  • Badger Mark II (Transport)
In addition to the standard ships I typically bring in, a couple of factors are driving me to experiment with some additional ships. First off, I am going to take a shot at some mining (both gas and roids). I have skilled up to level 5 in nearly all of my mining skills and have a Rokh that has been gathering dust for nearly 6 months that is a good choice. I can fit 7 Miner II's and switch to 5 Gas Harvesters on that sucker and have a tank and drone DPS to cover any sleepers that may come calling. Will be nice to see that behemoth put to use.

NOTE: There is something about the Rokh - I think it is one of the coolest looking ships in EVE. Every time I fly it I end up wasting time simply gawking at it from different angles. I literally bought it because I wanted to own one - I have never really used it, until now... Cannot wait until I can post a good screenshot of it in a packed roid site!

The other ship I want to bring in is my old Caldari Navy Raven missioning ship. I have fitted it for Omni-tank and I want to see how it's extra firepower with the Wrath Fury Cruise Missiles makes mincemeat of Sleeper BS's. Again, that ship has been gathering dust for a LONG time, so better to try to get some more action out of it.

Here would be the additions to my hangar:
  • Rokh (Gas and Roid Mining)
  • Raven Navy Issue (swap out occasionally with my Drake for testing)
  • Iteron Mark IV (to help transport all of these new POS defenses)
So the only newly-purchased ship was the Iteron - a relatively tiny investment, even with the T2 Cargo Expanders and MWD.

Now I have my LightTraveler character training for the Orca. 20 Days for Mining Barge 5 and 11 Days for Mining Foreman 5 make up the bulk of the remaining 42 days and counting...

BTW - Who was the genius that decided these EW Batteries would by 4,000 m3? Turns a handful of transport trips into a 3 hour affair!!!

Safe flying!

6 comments:

  1. Rokh on mining: yeap it rokhs! :-p I got myself one as well - but have a ferox for gas harvesting so I dont't waste time refitting - is too borring in a pos where you cannot use the saved fittings feature of the fitting screen :-/ Over at the website I believe I have uploaded some pics of rokhs crunching rocks in Planet Risk :-)

    Fittings:
    Based on your skills you should outweight the use of 8 miners II vs 7 + extra mining upgrade. Remember that when mining precious wormhole ore like arkonor it takes 16m3 volume each circle so you need you have your yield multiplier by x16 to see any difference in units. eg: if by fitting a third mining upgrade it takes you from 82.3 to 92.8 you better go for an 8th miner instead of the extra mining upgrade because 5x16=80 and 6x16=96 so you need to reach 96 to actually get an extra unit each cycle..
    we should have probably covered that in episode 2.. I'll make sure to mention it on the next episode on the 26th of August!

    Make sure you put 2xWCS there!

    CNR: IMHO, not raelly worth the extra risk in ISK, I sold mine that I had for lvl4s (they sell quite high nowdays) and got a typical Raven and lots of ISK to burn. A Drake with T2 passive tank can solo almost every Class 2 encounter and costs less, warps out faster and has less volume requirement on your orca.

    cheerz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - Here is my Rokh Setup - appreciate any comments (Note - I can fit 1 MLU II as a part of the 3x MLU):

    [Rokh, My Mining Rokh]
    2x Mining Laser Upgrade I
    1x Mining Laser Upgrade II
    Co-Processor II
    Expanded Cargohold II

    Magnetic Scattering Amplifier II
    Heat Dissipation Amplifier II
    Kinetic Deflection Amplifier II
    Explosion Dampening Amplifier II
    Survey Scanner II
    [empty med slot]

    8x Miner II

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or...If I remove the Kinetic and Explosion Amps, I can get 3x MLU II's:

    [Rokh, Mining Rokh 3MLUII]
    Expanded Cargohold II
    Co-Processor II
    3x Mining Laser Upgrade II

    Magnetic Scattering Amplifier II
    Heat Dissipation Amplifier II
    Survey Scanner II
    [empty med slot]
    [empty med slot]
    [empty med slot]

    8x Miner II

    3x Core Defence Field Purger I

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a Rokh for the exact same reason!!

    I lost a Drake recently in my corps WH system because instead of monitoring directional, I was drooling over a full screen preview of the Rokh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A quick question (I know this is old, but I've just returned to game and am researching WH living), why don't you people use mining barges, or is that a dumb question?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I never skilled up for Mining, and the ISK earned via my WH adventures has been purely based on Sleeper combat and salvage. You will see throughout these posts that I reference how much ISK I am literally "leaving behind" in terms of rich 'roid deposits, but I am not a miner.

    In the most recent posts, I talk to how I am expanding my personal focus beyond sleepers to include gas harvesting and hybrid reactions.

    ReplyDelete